Furnishings - Where Are They Now?
Desk Lamp - The Two Red Roses Foundation
The table lamp from the Edward P. Irving house, designed by George Mann Niedecken and manufactured by the Niedecken-Walbridge Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is made from quarter sawn white oak, colored glass, and copper, measuring 24" high by 23 ½" long by 15" wide. This is how David Cathers describes the lamp in the upcoming Arts & Crafts Lighting from the Collection of the Two Red Roses Foundation: "An architectonic form with a footed, two-part rectangular oak base resting on mitered feet, and paired, spindle-shaped oak standards decorated at the top with sawn oak squares and triangles silhouetted against translucent white glass panels. These geometric motifs are restated in the fixture's glass shade. Translucent, roof-like geometric leaded glass shade flanked by opaque leaded glass flanges; the stained glass has a hammered texture and some of the rectangular glass tiles are of double thickness. To diffuse and soften the light, the underside of the shade is enclosed within V-shaped leaded panels of translucent glass - repeating the "roof" profile in inverted form". The Two Red Roses Foundation - St. Petersburg, FL This lamp has been displayed in a number of museums including the seminal exhibition International Arts and Crafts. Anchored at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, it traveled to the de Young - Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco and ended at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The lamp is also illustrated in The Western Architect (April 1913), Cheryl Robertson's Frank Lloyd Wright and George Mann Niedecken - Prairie School Collaborators (1999), p. 46 and in Karen Livingstone and Linda Parrys International Arts and Crafts (London: V & A Publications, 2005), p. 180. - The Two Roses Foundation